Examine breaks through disguises in polymorph

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Dreams

Re: Examine breaks through disguises in polymorph

Post by Dreams » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:22 am

It isn't clear because of the word "instead".

When onlooker has True Seeing:
- Bonus from Polymorph does not apply.
INSTEAD
- The onlooker has a +10 bonus.

That could be read as 'True Seeing on Onlooker vs Polymorphed is resolved as base Spot vs base Bluff', or as 'True Seeing on Onlooker vs Polymorphed is resolved as base Spot +10 vs base Bluff'. I'm asking which is the case, because if it is the latter, it is the equivalent of a 20 point difference, which is massive.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 am

My reading of it is a 20 point swing for casting True Seeing, and I think it makes sense. If you don't have true seeing, you're going to have a really, really hard time figuring out who someone is when they have an absolutely different form from usual.

On the other hand, if you can see through the polymorph, you can more or less see precisely who they are. It isn't like you'd see their base form as wearing a wig, thick glasses, and a false mustache that would conceal their identity. It should be really hard to still fool someone if your disguise is based on polymorph and they can see through that effect.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 am

You'll have an easy time, because none of the classed who polymorph get bluff. Which was the main complaint about this new change.