Enchantment coding may be bugged.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Kaymon24

Enchantment coding may be bugged.

Post by Kaymon24 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Hello. So I know there is a thing with enchantment that you can use deities to god save enchantment on items and it's not a extremely low chance since I have enchanted ALOT of equipment and with experience of enchanting with epic enchantment focus I seem to have a sudden problem with enchanting gear for someone. I am constantly failing in multiple enchantment basins and they are items that add a fort save on them along with two +2 skills and two +1 ability bonuses and I do not lose xp on final enchantment and should (and have before) godsaved. I am constantly failing on either the save bonus (92%) or first ability bonus (63%) and definitely failed every time on the final enchantment. No god saves are being present on any attempt right now. Is enchantment system broken? Or did god saves for magic deities get removed?

Kirito

Re: Enchantment coding may be bugged.

Post by Kirito » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:20 pm

They were working recently, you need a magic domain God (like mystra)

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 pm

I once failed five 95% enchantment rolls in a row (or maybe 5 times out of 7 tries or something crazy unlikely)

I mean it's possible, but it could just be an issue with the RNG rather than a bug in the code. I don't know.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 pm

More likely RNG as said. That said, it's entirely possible to get fail 5 95% rolls in a row. It's just very unlikely... still possible

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:03 am

Probably a string of bad luck. If infinite twenty sided dice are rolled, it's only a matter of time before they turn up 1 a hundred times in a row.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 am

Kirito wrote:More likely RNG as said. That said, it's entirely possible to get fail 5 95% rolls in a row. It's just very unlikely... still possible
Very, very unlikely. 1 in 3.2 million unlucky from a base probability calculation (obviously sometimes NWN's RNG seems a bit "sticky" which affects the probability).

I just did it experimentally a few times in Excel and counted how many times I had to roll before I got 5 1s in a row. The first time I got 5 1s took 730759 rolls. The next trials took 7459720, 3465449, 3858768, and 1193509 rolls (as a bit of trivia, the next roll on the last one was also a 1, so it was actually 6 1s in a row). This is pretty close to what you'd expect--in that sample it was an average of 3.34 million between five-ones-in-a-row events.

So obviously it's possible--the real question is whether it happens more often than it should. That's a harder question. I would be surprised if Arelith keeps a running total of all of the rolls that are made by all players and can look back to assess it to see whether five-ones-in-a-row is happening more or less frequently than it should happen.

As a trivial aside, I've played on Arelith for 1445668 rounds since cihparg's playerlist started counting. If every one of those rounds was spent making 4 attacks per round rather than RPing or crafting or walking or any of the other things we do in Arelith, I would expect to have seen five-ones-in-a-row once, maybe twice if I was lucky. If I had to guess, the number of items I've enchanted is in the tens or at most in the hundreds. I'd be surprised if even the server as a whole has enough 95% enchantment attempts to support the number of times I've heard people claim to have gotten five ones in a row.

Basically, the question being asked here is one that's really hard to answer. Any time we see five ones in a row, it is an unlikely event, but we aren't documenting the total number of times that event is seen or the total number of times that the event might be seen but isn't, so we can't really say.

That said, sometimes that enchantment basin really seems like a jerk.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:38 am

Im fairly sure the enchantment basin has a mind of its own and sometimes just does what it feels like.

Sometimes that's 5 1s in a row... sometimes that's 2 20s JUST when you need it.

Kaymon24

Post by Kaymon24 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24 pm

They are working now. I think the enchantment basin decides to say "screw you I am waiting till reset to help you." And ladies and gentlemen that is exactly how it happened.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm

I stick by my point ;)
I'm fairly sure the enchantment basin has a mind of its own and sometimes just does what it feels like

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Not sure how "random" works in NWN but like most things its probably based on servertime or something like that. So you might notice, as you have in other games, that one thing spawns a lot for some reason. If you have a string of bad rolls in the basin its probably best to just leave it alone for 1 hour and come back later as the random seed would have changed.

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 pm

ActionReplay wrote:Not sure how "random" works in NWN but like most things its probably based on servertime or something like that. So you might notice, as you have in other games, that one thing spawns a lot for some reason. If you have a string of bad rolls in the basin its probably best to just leave it alone for 1 hour and come back later as the random seed would have changed.
Yes "random" is just simulated... (I always wondered how it works in NWN.)

I also got the feeling that it is not very rendom and even might depend on lag... (but that is just a feeling:)

I once used all craftingpoints and had 17 x 1 out of 50. Possible but makes you wonder at least ;)