AB-boosting cleric spells not working with summons [updated]

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Lorkas

AB-boosting cleric spells not working with summons [updated]

Post by Lorkas » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am

Aid, bless, and prayer don't grant +1 AB each to my cleric's summoned dire bear. The other properties of each spell (+3 temp HP from aid, +1 damage from prayer) apply as expected, but the AB boost is not granted (either on the character sheet or in the combat log). This was tested with no other buffs active besides these listed (so the summon is definitely not at the +20 cap on AB boosting spells and effects).

The spells all grant the AB correctly to my PC, and stack up to +3 when all three spells are active.

The character I'm trying this on has GSF: conjuration and Animal Domain (so the summon gets +2 to AB for that reason), and is also a healer cleric.

Further testing update:
I used the bowl of commanding water elementals to summon a small water elemental, since those don't get the GSF/Animal domain bonus, and bless applies as expected to that summoned creature. It looks like the +1/2/3 from Animal domain+spell focuses in conjuration are preventing these spells from applying somehow.

Further testing update 2:
I repeated the test with another healer cleric. Same spell level (tier 5 summoned with Summon Creature IV, though it is a UDer so it was a Grey Render instead of a Dire Bear), same path, same level of spell focus in conjuration--the only real difference is that the second cleric does not have Animal Domain. This cleric's summon benefited from Aid, Prayer, and Bless exactly as expected, with each spell applying +1 AB, stacking up to +3 AB in total. This means that in terms of AB, a non-Animal Domain summoner can actually buff their summon up to higher AB than an Animal Domain summoner can, which doesn't seem intended to me.

Final update:
My first testing included both character sheet checks and combat log checks, and I feel really quite sure that it wasn't applying, but it looks like all buffs are applying correctly now in the combat log (just not in the character sheet).

Lorkas

Re: AB-boosting cleric spells not working with summons

Post by Lorkas » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Anyone had a chance to look at this? My intuition says it could be an easy fix, but my intuition has been known to be wrong.

It would make a big difference for my character, since I sacrificed a domain slot specifically to become a stronger summoner, and instead wound up lowering my summons' offensive potential.

Diilicious

Re: AB-boosting cleric spells not working with summons

Post by Diilicious » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:19 pm

this would be good if somebody could look at it...
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example