Player Tool 1, Familiars

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Player Tool 1, Familiars

Post by Twily » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Player Tool 1 does not seem to be functioning properly with familiars.

I've had it:
Attack when I told it to stand in a specific spot
Attack EnemyB or C when I clicked on EnemyA.

I've had it run in patterns around me that are so bizzare they don't seem like NWN's pathfinding. This one likely relates to it targeting things other than what you tell it to, causing it to move to attack that instead, but it quickly results in the familiar's death through countless attack of opportunities from enemies.

Attacking the wrong enemy is extremely consistent too. My familiar could be standing far away, not in range of any enemies, I click to attack A, and it runs for B.

If this happens: I move it away, try again on EnemyA, same result, it attacks EnemyB every single time

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Player Tool 1, Familiars

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:10 am

I use the default AI without the player 1 tool most of the time, and use the player 1 tool when I'm springing traps/using a minion to pull aggro. I find it's best to use as an additive tool for specific things, not a total replacement. The default AI plus radial commands (Attack Nearest, Follow, and Stand your ground) are actually incredibly useful all on their own- at least in my experience.

With that said, I have never had this problem. What kind of familiar do you have?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:23 am

It's not just familiars. SD Shadow is doing this also.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:16 am

I'm using a panther right now

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Attacks of opportunity will disrupt your commands, and playertool'd summons are notoriously aggressive. Or they just stand there while enemies murder them.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:37 pm

I am certain it's not an attack of opportunity interrupting the command(unfortunately, because that'd be easy to avoid).

The AoOs are caused by the familiar not listening to me to begin with, as I move it into the correct position carefully ahead of time to avoid AoO. All AoOs that occur are a result of the familiar running around enemies needlessly in order to attack an enemy different from what I clicked.

iria_huntress
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Post by iria_huntress » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Yeah. I have noticed when I have summon(s) out and my familiar, my familiar stays following me, while my summons run on ahead where I direct them.

Also, the best way to get summons under the tool to stop attacking is (if you are in a party) to assign them to follow someone else. That breaks their attacking very reliably.