True fires and raise dead.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Hellfire

True fires and raise dead.

Post by Hellfire » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

I could be mistaken, but I am fairly sure that casting raise dead from objects used to be an exception to the evocation only rule for true fire sorcerers for the same reason that it is with Kensai. However I was quite surprised to have it fizzle first off of a book of souls and then off a raise dead scroll, resulting in my sorc having to abandon the dungeon with the corpses of his fallen party despite having made what should have been adequate preparations.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: True fires and raise dead.

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:45 am

To the best of my knowledge, working as intended.

There are runestones of raise dead that are marked as mundane. Those work.

The easiest solution I found was always carrying an extra raise scroll or two on me and ask someone else to read it for you.

Of course, that was before they cost 10K apiece- raise dead is now a non-factor for me. I'd pay that much for a resurrection, but not a raise. I'm glad death means something, and I don't think it's unreasonable, I just don't play enough to be willing to throw away 10k on a 1hp raise. (It's worth noting that raise dead according to PnP is significantly cheaper than it is here, but you also lose a level to it in PnP, so... not really complaining.)

If this is just a persisting oversight, then lucky you. I had some pretty epic trips back from dungeons I was way too low level to be at by myself carrying multiple corpses while encumbered, though. (The Eagles and Kohligen is one that stands out. I was level.... 9? :-D )
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Blood on my Lips

Re: True fires and raise dead.

Post by Blood on my Lips » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:37 am

I know that True Flames were not able to use a raise dead scroll in the past. That sounds like it's working as intended.