Friend unable to log in

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Commie

Friend unable to log in

Post by Commie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:12 am

Got a pal I'm trying to get into the game, username; OrionZyGarian

He can log on, make a character, but once the character is made the screen goes black and stays black. It's not a crash, trying to close the game still brings up the NWN "are you sure you want to quit" box, so I don't know what it is. Single player works fine. He has a new set of keys from GoG.

He can't log in ergo he can't register to post for himself.

FrozenSolid

Re: Friend unable to log in

Post by FrozenSolid » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:01 am

He is not using an unusual haks or overrides either right?

Another issue might be his internet connection or maybe a firewall blocking online acess

For example if I am loading reeeally slowly or I had a crash and I try to laod NWN It will sit there on a black empty screen and react in the same way you are describing.

I run NWN in administrator mode and usually have to reload NWN a few times before it will load.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:13 am

He's on a fresh install, never played NWN before so I assume he has no overrides or HAK's.

I'll ask him if he has a firewall.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:19 pm

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:42 pm

No firewall and game is patched.

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am

Maybe put your copy onto a memory stick and log in from his computer, just to narrow down the issue?

Commie

Post by Commie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 am

Got it working. Was an audio driver issue I believe. Fixed with a settings change and restart.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 am

Huh wierd
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

OrionZyGarian

Post by OrionZyGarian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:20 am

I'm having the same troubles again, and restarting isnt working. I've been able to play for weeks now without issue, changed nothing. Always running Administrator mode, tried the list of suggestions again.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:29 am

Changed your port?

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

OrionZyGarian

Post by OrionZyGarian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 am

Nope. Restarted and temporarily disabled firewall. After a few tries it started working. Not sure if that's actually what did it but...it's working!

BrilliantInsanity

Post by BrilliantInsanity » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:55 am

One thing to remember on connectivity issues and the joy that is the wonderful world of the WWW, is tracert on command prompt.

"tracert game.arelith.com" specifically. Sometimes while all of the rest of your connection works, links in the route from one location to another can be down and not be rerouted yet, causing connectivity issues to a specific server for specific regions only, as the route from My house to Arelith servers wont necessarily be the same as your route, so sometimes you can have some people able to connect while you can't, seemingly for no reason.

Therefore, if the general connection tips above don't work (changing ports, etc) open command prompt and type the command listed above without the quotes and see if it fails to complete the trace. If it does not complete, then there is a connection lost somewhere between your local ISP service (usually within the first 4 jumps) and the rest of the web (everything else afterwards). If fails to get past the first 4 or so jumps, its a local thing and perhaps something to contact your ISP about if it is a recurring issue. Anything outside of that will be out of their (and your) hands until a new route is resolved.

YAY INTERNET!

Commie

Post by Commie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:56 pm

He is able to log into the server though, see the playerlist, it's only once he 'enters' the game does it black screen. And he is in-game, we can see when he joins and leaves, he's on the playerlist, it's just a black screen for him.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 am

I always have these black screen issues when I am lagging hard. It might finish the loading screen then sit on a blank screen.

Try opening a webpage at the same time? Maybe a speed test?

Is it satellite internet? That can be really spotty and because
Of the delay I don't think it works for gaming.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

OrionZyGarian

Post by OrionZyGarian » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 am

When it happens, it just never shows the load screen. If I see the load screen, then I know it is fine