Speech From Stealthed Characters Not Translating

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Speech From Stealthed Characters Not Translating

Post by Durvayas » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:26 am

As titled.

So the way this bug has been observed is that in this particular case, the stealthed players are drow using Xanalress. PCs who can't detect them can see the text appear in their chat log, but it does not translate, regardless of if they can understand xanalress or not.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Dr_Hazard89

Re: Speech From Stealthed Characters Not Translating

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:33 am

This is also the case for any languages spoken by a character who is no longer visible. For example if some elves are having a conversation in the next room, when the door closes you will no longer understand their elven but still hear it.

On another character I had -console_mode set in such a way that this didn't happen anymore, but then something was changed and I haven't been able to replicate it on other characters.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:09 pm

It's due to the updated language system. I miss it. I know it was an exploit to begin with but it came in handy for stealth communication.

Guess you could always shout but that is a bit much. :/
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Have you tried using -reveal?

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:05 pm

What if you are wanting to creep out someone you are stalking?

Making noises or "whispers on the wind" or something. You want to be known but you don't want them to see you.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Use shouts or tells!

Rags

Post by Rags » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Rwby wrote:Use shouts or tells!

Neither of these really make sense, especially Tells to communicate IC information. It makes sense, at least to me, that regular talk chat that is heard should go through translation if they're within range, even if the speaker is Invisible/Stealthed.

They're hearing it, after all.. So they should be able to translate it if they speak that language? You don't suddenly not understand Elven because they're stealthed.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Tells are not meant for IC information.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:47 pm

In most cases the language change that was made was really awesome but in this specific situation it became difficult. :(

*shouts: an acorn falls near you*

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Okay, now I'm lost.

I was specifically answering Steelsweets, who wanted to know how to convey noises or what have you. [Which you can do through shouts or tells.]
If you want to speak to someone while in Stealth, you can use reveal, to pick on specific targets with spoken translatable text. [Remember they won't be able to see you if you're out of sight.]
Else shouting it works just as well for translation.

What specific in game situation can't be resolved with the present system?

And remember _Telling_ a character what they are capable of seeing/hearing, is metagaming. If I'm playing a wisdom 8 character with -listen, I'm going to be pretty damn oblivious to Acorns falling or whatever. Seems the sort of thing one could easily resolve through tells. But if my character could tell you were there by the noise you were making/tell tale signs Then my spot/listen would beat your hide/move silently. If this isn't the case, then I wouldn't be noticing you anyway, so why would I see you in stealth!
If you're deliberately wanting to be noticed, then isn't that exactly what -reveal, represents?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:57 pm

I was specifically answering Steelsweets, who wanted to know how to convey noises or what have you. [Which you can do through shouts or tells.]
That's IC information, and shouldn't be sent through a tell. You can use shouts, though.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Ok. Nevermind. Sorry.

Not in the mood to argue. :)

Shouting it is.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:49 pm

I actually have the reverse issue with this system. IE While in stealth, speaking in whispers to my companions next to me, but the "opposing party" that are not in my whisper range still see the combat log that My Character Name: [Language] spoke something...

Sure it's metagaming to use that info to 'know' there is a stealther present. But on my part it takes a lot of trust in the other players that it won't be used that way.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:40 am

Something you could maybe try is speaking in Xanalress (or whatever other language), but putting the text in square brackets to make it be spoken actually in common.

It doesn't do exactly what you want it to do, but at least it isn't shouting.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:35 am

If your character is in stealth trying to speak to someone without them seeing you, the very last thing you want to do is use -reveal.

At the same time, you also might not want everyone else to understand what you are saying, so working around it using common, while the only real option, is also not always favorable. It seems that is the only real workaround until such a time we know if/when it will be fixed.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:44 am

You can shout in Xanalress if you really don't want others to understand. The only real way for it to work well is for them to have -console_mode set to variant 3 or variant 4.

Mouthy Expert

Post by Mouthy Expert » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Isn't there an option to make it translate in the combat log like it used to? Wouldn't that be a solution?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:23 pm

That's what I just described in my last post, Mouthy Expert.

The listener has to have it set that way. If you're the person in stealth trying to talk to them, you have no control over how it appears to them.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Lorkas wrote:That's what I just described in my last post, Mouthy Expert.

The listener has to have it set that way. If you're the person in stealth trying to talk to them, you have no control over how it appears to them.
How does the Listener set it that way, #2 fan of Honeybunny?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:36 pm

I didn't know who you were talking to at first, then I realized it wad probably just a typo (2 is right next to 1, so don't be embarrassed!). I think [-console_mode 3] or [-console_mode 4] should do the trick.

Using Xanalress as the example again, both will result in Xanalress text appearing in the left dialog box and English appearing in the right. The difference is that Mode 3 additionally copies all text that's written in Common over to the right dialog box too.