Corpse Bug

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Corpse Bug

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi,

My character hasn't died since the Wharftown conflict but apparently her corpse was found today when I logged into Cordor and moved to the Temple of the Triad. It even came up in her battle window that her corpse was being moved even though she was very much alive.

I assume I broke something again : (

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Lorkas

Re: Corpse Bug

Post by Lorkas » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Most often this happens when someone logs off while carrying your character's corpse. In order to prevent a situation where your character can't be raised, a copy of their corpse will be placed on the ground when the character carrying it logs off. However, the copy of your character's corpse that was in their inventory also persists.

When your character is raised or respawns, all copies of their corpse that are currently online (either on the ground or in someone's inventory) will be deleted, but any corpses carried by characters who are offline can't be. It's possible that someone picked up your character's body and logged off during the Wharftown event (or some other time when your character died), and just logged back in for the first time.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Apparently, another one was found since someone is moving it (the last one was binned, from what I understand).

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Yes, well, the "extra" can be moved around once the person logs back in. From what you've said it's entirely possible that the following sequence of events happened:
  1. You die
  2. Someone picks up your corpse
  3. They log out, leaving a corpse on the ground
  4. Someone else sees it and bins it
  5. You respawn
  6. The person who originally picked up your corpse logs back in, drops the corpse and it gets picked up by someone else (or by themselves again), who moves it around.
Step 3 can also be repeated many times, creating a new corpse on the ground each time it's done. It might be easy to see that someone who hasn't logged in in a few weeks might not check their inventory carefully and log off again without getting rid of the body, thus spawning another copy when they log off.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:25 pm

This can be fun for making a trail of dead bodies "crawling" from a graveyard...

Not saying I ever did this... *whistles*
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Would it say that your corpse dropped as the person logs out? We had a reset and when I returned I only got the message that someone (again) picked up her corpse. Only picked up, not dropped in the first place.

-S

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:51 pm

I believe that a reset cleans up any corpses on the ground, so it shouldn't be possible for someone to log in and find your corpse unless it was already in their inventory, or perhaps a chest with permanent storage.

If they logged in before you did after the reset, noticed the corpse and dropped it, then noticed you log in, they might just pick up the corpse and eventually try to raise it (which would be unsuccessful, since your character isn't dead).

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:36 pm

This is happening again (since I have finally logged back in again) only this time the message of being picked up appears multiple times without any put down message.

I find it very hard to believe someone is just carrying her corpse around from a month ago and haven't noticed.

-S

IIllII

Post by IIllII » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:33 pm

A friend of mine kept finding the same corpse in her inventory even after she dropped it the day before. I think it kept happening for a couple of days until the problem fixed itself.

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:29 am

This has now happened to me as well.

My character died. Was revived moments later.

A few minutes pass by, and I start getting messages about the corpse being picked up. And then again. And then again, despite, I think, the corpse being either binned or bashed.

It would be hilarious if suddenly the island would be littered with corpses. All of them the same.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00 am

Your corpse shouldn't have stuck around to be binned or bashed if you were raised with a spell. Do you mean that you respawned?

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:15 am

Nope.

I was raised by another character, maybe just a couple of minutes after dying.

No corpse was there when we left.

Then I started getting the messages about the corpse being picked up.

Even a tell from another player asking if I was ready for a revive..even though the character was already living.

I did not think to ask, because I was tired, but I have the impression the body was showing up at..some other random places.

I say this, because not long before the original post of this topic, I had come across the body of the op's character by one of the gates of Brogendenstein, along with that of another character.
The two in the exact same spot. To the point that it was hard to chose which body to pick up, as you hovered the cursor over them.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 am

I found Areal dead (with someone else) by the supply merchant in the upper levels in the Hawk's Nest over the weekend.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:19 am

Question:
why do corpses change weight? one time i picked up two coroses for 150 lbs each and was encumbered. Dropped them to fight a mob, and when i picked them up again, one of them changed to 50 lbs instead of 150 lbs. Is this intentional?

Note: both corpses belonged to the same person, but i didn't know what i needed to raise him, so i carried both to the nearest altar.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.