Shadowdancer Shadow not -guard-ing

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

InTheFlesh

Shadowdancer Shadow not -guard-ing

Post by InTheFlesh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 pm

As above. My Shadow isn't drawing aggro away from NPCs despite having his -guard up. It only happened recently with the last few updates, was something accidentally changed?

SwampFoot

Re: Shadowdancer Shadow not -guard-ing

Post by SwampFoot » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 am

I've seen this as well. Toggling the -guard option doesn't help. Resummoning also, doesn't help.

des8989

Post by des8989 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am

I also now I have this issue with my Shadowdancer. I had a DM watch and they confirmed it was bugged. After the server reset, the bug was still there. We also tried to reset the script by killing the character and reviving her. Still isn't working.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:54 pm

.... I specifically remember the ability for henchmen/summons to guard being turned off on purpose. Literally no class, including ones with weaker summons/ac, gets a class-based summon that can also guard the summoner, because it was "broken" and "not design intention."

Given that shadowdancer summons are both arguably better than familiars and animal companions, and that a shadowdancer will have higher AC than a mage or druid/ranger anyway (plus epic dodge), does this mean that ALL class summons will be able to guard their summoner again?

I'm kind of just trying to understand the decision/design directive here- shadowdancers arguably need guard on their class summon less than every other class that gets one, and unless there was a ninja update, no other class gets one.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Summons could never do it, but familiars could, since you could possess them and then type -guard [name] to make them guard you.

It's a deliberate part of the SD summon design, though.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Lorkas wrote:Summons could never do it, but familiars could, since you could possess them and then type -guard [name] to make them guard you.

It's a deliberate part of the SD summon design, though.
For clarification, by class summons I specifically meant familiars and animal companions, although I suppose it could also include fiends from fiendlocks.

Yes, they /could/. And then the ability was removed, IIRC. Same for animal companions after the -a command was added to the console.

In fact, around the same time the ability for familiars to guard was removed, I believe was when the devs introduced the concept of, if your familiar attacks something, it doesn't matter if you're invisible and three screen transitions away, the monster will ignore the familiar and run three screens away to attack you (also known as, hey, go stand at a choke point and then use your familiar to send everything through it).
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 pm

This was accidentally removed by another dev. I've passed word onto them.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Sorry, my fault - fixed an exploit and broke this. Fixing now, should take effect next reset.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks dude. Mine was doing this too.