Notes page getting Erased

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Diilicious

Notes page getting Erased

Post by Diilicious » Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 am

I dont understand why but my notes page keeps getting erased and its driving me crazy, does anyone know why this happens?
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Dr_Hazard89

Re: Notes page getting Erased

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am

It can happen if your journal is open during name changes, like entering or leaving disguises/stealth mode.

The journal is saved to your character name in .txt file in your nwn local folder, so sometimes it's a good idea to copy those and save them somewhere as a back-up.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon May 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Note that your character's journal is stored locally on your computer, not on the server. If you play from more than one computer, then you won't have access to your character's journal.

The file on your PC is accessed the moment you open your journal IG, and the filename accessed depends on your character's name at the instant you open the journal. Anything that affects the name that displays above your character in game will affect the file name that the game tries to access, so disguise, stealth, and slavery will all affect journal access. The file is saved the moment you course the journal IG, and again, the filename is your character's name.

So for example, suppose I have a journal entry I've written while out of stealth, but I try to access my journal while in stealth mode. I will see a blank journal actually, since I wrote the journal I'm looking for while out of stealth. If I exit stealth and then close the journal, the game saves the journal under my unstealthed name, overwriting the journal entry I made previously.

There are a bunch of variations for how this could happen--you just have to make sure you aren't messing with stealth or disguise while your journal is open to avoid the worst stuff.

Kangles

Post by Kangles » Mon May 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Or you can lean all the way in and always mess with stealth and disguise to maintain multiple journals. There's a .txt file saved for every true and disguised name you use. As long as you use and spell the same disguise(s) consistently for a given character, each disguise can have their own associated journal only readable in that disguise.

Note: I haven't tested to see at what point, if any, the .txt files get overwritten by new ones. Hasn't happened to me yet.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue May 16, 2017 5:51 am

Lorkas, I've always known that the notes were dependent on name. I was never aware that they overwrote based on if you were in disguise or not at time of closing. Thats good information to know.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Thu May 25, 2017 7:21 pm

My solution for OOC notes, I used notepad on my computer, for IC notes I keep them in an ingame notebook usually to be left in my quarter, intrigue should someone ever break into on of my characters houses
Plays as the monster in your closet