Bigby Clenched Fist: two minor bugs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Bigby Clenched Fist: two minor bugs

Post by Twily » Sun May 14, 2017 2:44 am

A certain boss threw a Bigby's Clenched Fist at my kensai, and *prays* failed to remove the spell, resulting in immediately being stunned once again(followed by a godsave).

Additionaly, the Kensai saving throw bonus vs. spells and spell-like, does not apply to the Bigby's Clenched Fist spell. (I believe it may against the initial attack, but all following checks made every round do not apply it.)

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Bigby Clenched Fist: two minor bugs

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun May 14, 2017 7:46 am

This is not a bug, but how the spell is intended to function.

The hand is a persistent effect. Praying should not make it disappear. It makes a single modified attack roll against its target every round. If it hits the target, it does damage, and the target must make a fort save vs. stun. This effect re-triggers every round.

So prays can cure your stun status for the first round, but it will not get rid of the hand, and the hand may stun you again. This is actually the largest tactical advantage to casting this spell over say, crushing hand (which has a DC one point higher and automatically immobilizes for the duration on a failed save).

I have no meaningful feedback to offer on the kensai bonus vs. spells- are you sure it's not adding to the fort save vs. stun on successful hits?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sun May 14, 2017 8:16 am

I am 100% sure it's not adding the Kensai bonus, in the situation I was in.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun May 14, 2017 11:27 am

A lot of spells with lasting effects only count as Spell in the first save. All the saves afterwards don't.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!