Getting screwed by random relogging server transition.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Hour

Getting screwed by random relogging server transition.

Post by Hour » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 am

So let me start by saying-- this probably doesn't matter to most people. but it matters to me.

So cities crashed whilst I was fighting cloakers w/Barradoor.

We both logged into surface to avoid logging into cities again and being ganked.

I log out whilst in stonehold with the gold to go take a shower.

Log back into surface and... get transitioned BACK into cloakers.

What?

Why would it port me to a place OTHER than the place I logged out at? What sorta nonsense is that?

Obviously I died.

UPSETTI SPAGHETTI

Lorkas

Re: Getting screwed by random relogging server transition.

Post by Lorkas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 am

The server keeps track of your legit location and will send you back there as soon as it's possible for out to do so. You may notice that every time you transition when you've done something like this, it tries to send you to the other server.

If you had logged back into C&P, there's a script that prevents stuff from spawning too close to you after a crash.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 am

That's by design. Otherwise you could just block the IP of one server and reset your position every time. You'll always go back to where you last were ... if the server crashed, you can technically log into the other one, but each transition it will try to portal you back until the server is back up again.

Hour

Post by Hour » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:10 am

If that's the case, it didn't apply here, I was completely surrounded by cloakers, the INSTANT I moved I took damage.

Hour

Post by Hour » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 am

Scholar Midnight wrote:That's by design. Otherwise you could just block the IP of one server and reset your position every time. You'll always go back to where you last were ... if the server crashed, you can technically log into the other one, but each transition it will try to portal you back until the server is back up again.
so i'm just screwed because the server crashed and now i get to eat the exp loss, death pens, gold, etc.

okay thanks for enlightening me.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 am

I think it's because you went to the other server, logged off, then later came back. Just log straight back into the crashed server when it comes back up and the script should kick in.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 am

Hour wrote:
Scholar Midnight wrote:That's by design. Otherwise you could just block the IP of one server and reset your position every time. You'll always go back to where you last were ... if the server crashed, you can technically log into the other one, but each transition it will try to portal you back until the server is back up again.
so i'm just screwed because the server crashed and now i get to eat the exp loss, death pens, gold, etc.

okay thanks for enlightening me.
Now you know for next time -- you'll always port back to your last in character position.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 am

I am not entirely Ok with that.
The other day surface crashed for a considerable time, so we moved back to UD to do other stuff. After said considerable time, when surface recovered, we automatically moved back to Surface in the next transition. Our reaction was pretty much "?!?!?!??!?".
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

dirza

Post by dirza » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:35 am

Shit happens, just shake head and go on?

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Server crashes can really make that kind of stuff difficult. Especially it the crash lasts awhile, then you have to leave.

I have, on several occasions, had my character killed because I just ran out of RL time and had to go in the middle of a dungeon, or it crashed etc. It just happens.

There are a variety of ways to make that not happen, but in an RP sense it is cool to be returned to -exactly- where you were no matter what. Does that screw us over sometimes? Yeah : /

Alternative methods to prevent this would be like you can select a "Tavern" as a respawn point. -every- server reset it puts you back into that tavern. But then if you were in a middle of a dungeon, and there was a reset, you have to start alllll over. And it's ICLY awkward meeting up.

So I don't think there's anyway to really fix the issue without creating other ones.

Just know that it happens I guess, and it can especially be a big pain in harder dungeons.
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Iceborn wrote:I am not entirely Ok with that.
The other day surface crashed for a considerable time, so we moved back to UD to do other stuff. After said considerable time, when surface recovered, we automatically moved back to Surface in the next transition. Our reaction was pretty much "?!?!?!??!?".

What was your non ?!?!?!??! rational in character for the magical teleportation from the surface to the Underdark in the first place? If one makes sense, it feels like the other does too...

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:12 pm

We RPed it as returning to UD again and paid little more mind to it. We accepted the crash because, well, it was our choice to cut what we were doing and go back to UD instead of waiting for Surface to return. It made sense to what we were doing at the time.
Appearing back in Surface without warning after we kinda RPed not going back was... erh... not really what we had in mind.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!