Dirge, multiple castings stack

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Dirge, multiple castings stack

Post by Twily » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Seeing as you no longer loose the ability when exiting the ring I feel I should point out: multiple castings of dirge stack, last I saw.

This means if someone casts the spell 20 times, they can instantly lower the dex/str to 3 and with this change have it persist when the target does try to flee the radius.(almost an instant win in PvP, considering encumbrance and reduced AC/AB/Damage/Reflex)

Suggestion:
While I disagree with Cortex in that 20 casts isn't broken, I do agree 1 might not be enough with the DCs, so here's a suggestion on the side.
Making it 1(or 2) point/round with no save, but limited to 1 cast.
Last edited by Twily on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Cortex

Re: Dirge, multiple castings stack

Post by Cortex » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:32 pm

the dc sucks
a potion removes the effect
also nep

Sure I guess making it not to stack would be kinda ok but at the same time... calling it "an instant win" is such an exaggeration.
:)

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Not as bad if the potion removes it I'll admit, but considering the penalty applies every round they'd have to, while encumbered exit the ring, the enemy would have to not follow, they'd have to drink a potion and then flee. That's more than enough time to be dead when you're looking at -10 to 15 AC/Reflex for dex characters, and requires the foe not follow you.
Last edited by Twily on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Negative Energy Protection if you're expecting they'll use dirge. Or if you get caught by surprise by dirge, double-pot one round NEP -> Lesser Restore.

It's pretty easy to counter. At least the spell actually works now, as before it was too buggy to even consider.
Last edited by yellowcateyes on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:41 pm

You're forgetting the DC is mediocre, with a base of 16 DC vs fort, and the earliest bards can get is at lvl 16 bard. Bards you should be worried about (aka ones that don't use a meme spell and use mass haste instead), would have 16 CHA, and even if they're buffed to 20 or whatever, the DC would not go past 21 unless they're a really bad build with CHA focus, and even then, max DC at level 30 with 40 CHA is 31, which isn't a problem for anyone who knows what NEP is or got saves.
:)

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Auras should not stack with themselves.
Full stop.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Iceborn wrote:Auras should not stack with themselves.
Full stop.
11 pieces of +1 stat gear shouldn't stack to make +11, either.

Dirge is probably the least used debuff spell in the game. Leave it alone.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002