Attacks of Opportunity?

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Sab1

Attacks of Opportunity?

Post by Sab1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:51 pm

I was using a quarter staff to fight a bugbear. I wasn't doing anything fancy, just swinging. Yet the bugbear kept getting attacks of opportunity on me. Is this normal?

Lorkas

Re: Attacks of Opportunity?

Post by Lorkas » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 pm

The offhand attack(s) might be triggering it. It uses the same attack die as your unarmed attack, so maybe something funky was done to add the offhand attacks there.

Does your character have monk levels, and if not, were they wearing gloves while you observed the attacks of opportunity? If no to both, try putting on gloves and see if you still get AoOs.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:42 pm

He has only monk lvls, and he is wearing bracers that has dex and wis on them I believe. Being low lvl he currently doesn't have any monk gloves to try it out with.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:08 pm

If you have Improved Unarmed Strike, you shouldn't be getting AoO'd.
Does it happen often, or only that time? Sometimes, very rarely, the movement bugs in a way that you continue moving in the spot while doing other actions, thus triggering AoO through movement. Were you getting any Tumble check? If not, it escapes my comprehension.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Iceborn wrote:If you have Improved Unarmed Strike, you shouldn't be getting AoO'd.
Does it happen often, or only that time? Sometimes, very rarely, the movement bugs in a way that you continue moving in the spot while doing other actions, thus triggering AoO through movement. Were you getting any Tumble check? If not, it escapes my comprehension.
I just noticed it, it may of happened before but since I was alone, it might of just be easier for me to spot.

According to the log I hit, it shows the damage, then the next line had the bugbears attack of opportunity. I was just standing there flailing away with the QS, swearing at how often a lvl 7 monk misses. :lol: No tumble check, it happened right after I swung. Not sure if it was the off hand swing or not.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:40 am

Even without Improved Unarmed Strike, you shouldn't get AoOs for unarmed strikes as long as you have gloves (any gloves!) on. Something funky's happening.