Lag, Crashes and updates

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Lag, Crashes and updates

Post by SteelsSweets » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:05 am

Starting in the afternoon CST on Saturday the lag became nearly unplayable.

I heard there had been an event and thought it was residual but it is still horrible.

For two days I have been unable to play and additionally my NWN has just started crashing. This is new.

I know A LOT of new updates went in. Is there a chance that one of them might have done something?

Other than the NWN issue my system is working fine. I have not updated anything or installed any new programs. No settings have changed.
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Lag, Crashes and updates

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:13 am

I've had the same problem for two-ish days, (don't know exactly when it started) but ping tests to game.arelith.com have shown around 18% packet loss. Other sites have no such issue.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

bwpsycho

Post by bwpsycho » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:27 am

+1

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 am

I've given up crafting anythingfor the past two days and just logged off earlier today. The teleporting is insanely bad, 5+ second waits between interactions with the fixtures, several seconds between emotes and with the servers crashing so often, its just not worth the risk of crashing and losing something expensive while you're descing it. In combat, I click on something, and nothing happens for a couple seconds until I'm standing over a corpse of an already slain foe, having taken damage between the lag spike.

The lag is managable at the really quiet hours, but during the day, its just unplayable for me.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Lady of Memes

Post by Lady of Memes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:42 am

Completely unplayable yes. Unless you wanna sit down and rp in a tavern or something. It's nearly impossible to do anything.

"In the words of someone wise, it's sad to make passive aggressive complaints on kudos forums."

dallion43
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by dallion43 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 am

Client side:
Try this, nwn is an old game it should help a bit;
http://arelith.wikia.com/wiki/Dual_Core ... or_and_NWN
Also, bring your nwn graphics to minimum temporary, see if helps.

Server side:
The link below has some server side handling advice that can assist in war against the lag.
I am sure that Arelith's scripters are one of the best if not the best but it never hurts to see if there is something new that can be implemented.
http://www.nwnlexicon.com/index.php?title=Lag_Busting

p.c Doubling the amount of items in the database is a lot.
It probably started after the March, 11th update and not the march, 7th update, even if taking the weekend into consideration.
Of course this is random guessing :p.

Lady of Memes

Post by Lady of Memes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:35 pm

dallion43 wrote:Client side:

Server side:
The link below has some server side handling advice that can assist in war against the lag.
I am sure that Arelith's scripters are one of the best if not the best but it never hurts to see if there is something new that can be implemented.

It probably started after the March, 11th update and not the march, 7th update, even if taking the weekend into consideration.
Did both of those. Still not working. Still trying to grind and situations happen like being alive one moment and then being in the death area after a particularly long 8 second lag spike.

"In the words of someone wise, it's sad to make passive aggressive complaints on kudos forums."

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Yeah, the lag is atrocious. Must be one of the latest updates. Probably worth checking IMHO.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Nothing to do with updates.

I've received word back from our provider. This describes the info we need to diagnose the problem: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Netzw ... Hetzner/en

If you're getting packet loss, please run a 1000-packet MTR test as above, then PM me the results. Ideally, include your IP address, so I can run the same test on your network from the server.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

I... am not smart enough to do this.

Thank you for trying to help, Scholar. If it doesn't clear up for me I just won't be able to play much.
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Nivar2009

Post by Nivar2009 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:02 pm

The lag is unplayable for me too. I know I have talked to others in the game who have no lag. I suspect it is the american players who are having the lag. Likely some point between us an Germany is having difficulty lets hope it clears up soon. I can't play right now due to the super lag.

Lady of Memes

Post by Lady of Memes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Scholar Midnight wrote:Nothing to do with updates.

I've received word back from our provider. This describes the info we need to diagnose the problem: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Netzw ... Hetzner/en

If you're getting packet loss, please run a 1000-packet MTR test as above, then PM me the results. Ideally, include your IP address, so I can run the same test on your network from the server.
Im not sure how to get it to moniter my game? The website you linked does not give a 'how-to' of any sort. I'm running it but it's not any different from when my game isn't up.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Lady of Memes wrote:
Scholar Midnight wrote:Nothing to do with updates.

Im not sure how to get it to moniter my game? The website you linked does not give a 'how-to' of any sort. I'm running it but it's not any different from when my game isn't up.
I imagine you'd need to enter 'arelith.com' when to tool asks for an IP or an address.

dallion43

Post by dallion43 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 am

So it isn't the update then.
It is probably a internet "route" problem between your ISP to Arelith ISP.

Get the Tool to check it here:
http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/
Learn how to use here(Start from What is MTR?):
https://kb.layershift.com/network-diagnostics#MTR
Or here(A very basic simple youtube video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZkN0_6zwAI

Run the tool, type arelith.com in the host box and hit start. After going over 1k in Sent column click stop. Click export Txt button. Then open google.com and type "my ip". Send the text file and the IP number to Scholar Midnight.

One way to address it is a good(Usually not free $5/$10 a month) VPN that can go around the problematic area between your ISP to Arelith ISP.
Good VPN while slowing you traffic by 5/10%, if you find a convenient route will cut the freeze and the unbearable seconds of terrible lag. Meaning you will get a bit slower reaction but stable play.

But give it a week, maybe it will resolve itself or someone will offer an alternative solution/fix it.

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:22 pm

dallion43 wrote:Client side:

Server side:

I tried the first link, but when I clicked the "affinity" it wouldn't do anything and kept saying, "The operation or process could not be completed. Access Denied."

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Also, I really don't understand any of this tech stuff. I'm not really keen, savvy, or even comfortable doing it by myself... I tried asking my friend to help but he's been brushing me off inconsiderately and whenever I complain to him about it he just says, "It's just a game." Which honestly offends me because this isn't "just a game" to me, it's therapy...

Stath

Post by Stath » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:35 pm

*hooting and clamouring to move the server to the US*
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Stath wrote:*hooting and clamouring to move the server to the US*
Would that make a difference? Like I understand it may for those of us in the U.S.A, but what of those in other countries? Would they not also experience the same issues as us if that were to happen? Like say, the roles would be reversed?

Lady of Memes

Post by Lady of Memes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Anaklusmos wrote:Also, I really don't understand any of this tech stuff. I'm not really keen, savvy, or even comfortable doing it by myself... I tried asking my friend to help but he's been brushing me off inconsiderately and whenever I complain to him about it he just says, "It's just a game." Which honestly offends me because this isn't "just a game" to me, it's therapy...
I admit. It took me an hour to figure out what to do. To save you some frustration, I'll show you how I did it.

First, you are going to need to figure out what operating system you have before you can download anything. For me it was windows 10. After you deduce what system you have, you'll need to figure out if it is a 32 bit or a 64 bit. From my experience a lot of gaming pcs are 64 bit. (And by experience I only mean people I know who game. I'm no expert, I could be very wrong.)

You can find out which type of system you have very easily. Here's how.

Go to your start button (if you have windows at least) and type 'about your system' (or for me it was 'about your pc'.). Listed under 'system type' will give you what type of system you have. Easy peasy.

Then you download either 32 or 64 bit from this website: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

Once downloaded, go to the file location and run the program. From there the program will come up. There will be a bar of white (Like a url bar) with the word 'host' to the left of it and 'start' to the right. Simply type in the ip address for the server that you are currently playing on.
This program needs to be running at the same time as you play your game. If you are playing on the surface than input 138.201.20.77:5124
If you are playing on Cordor/ud you will need to input 138.201.20.77:5123

Please make sure to stay on that server while the test is going. I don't know what happens if you don't- but logic is telling me it will probably mess something up so pick one.

You will see some numbers start to happen once you click 'start'. From there set a timer for 15 minutes and let it go.
If you've done everything right, there will be multiple bars with multiple letters and numbers in the large white space.
When the fifteen minutes is up, simply copy all of it and pm Scholar Midnight here on the forums. Paste the information.
Before you click send, open a new tab, go to google, then type 'What is my ip address'. Google will automatically detect it and give it to you. Copy and paste this ip into your message as well then send it off. There, you're done.
The rest is up to the dev's/server provider to deal with.

In reality this process would only take someone who knows what their doing perhaps 20 minutes or less. It's quick, painless, and you get to still play for most of the time. It'll also help our team figure out what's going on so there's that too. If you have questions just pm me.

Lady of Memes

Post by Lady of Memes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:49 pm

Mmh, just as I post this I crash again from lag. *le sigh*

Lady of Memes

Post by Lady of Memes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 pm

[quote="Anaklusmos"][/quote]

Here is another fix for you that some of the other people have suggest. Use a vpn. Don't worry, it's apparently easy. https://www.tunnelbear.com/
This one here is called tunnelbear. You get 500 mg for free. It should be good to use for nwn exclusively. Just sign up and download it. It was fairly easy instruction from the program itself. It should automatically do things once your email is verified.
It may help, it may not. But at least it's an option.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:40 am

I've heard back from Hetzner. They've made some preliminary changes on their end which might change the routing in some cases and fix it.

If you're still experiencing lag, we need to track it down. It's important that you only follow the provided steps during periods when you are encountering high lag on Arelith but no other sites. If you run these tests when you aren't lagging and forward them to me, your report will make my life and Hetzner's life more difficult.

1. First, in command prompt, type 'ping google.com -n 20'. Once it has pinged google 20 times, it will give you a summary view, where it will display a percentage of packet loss. If you experience any packet loss here, the problem is with your internet connection and there's nothing we can do. Note that if your local network is set up strangely you might be unable to ping google, in which case you'll see 100% packet loss, but still proceed to the second step.

2. If you can ping google without any packet loss then the issue is still routing. You need to do two things. First, run an MTR trace on arelith.com as explained above. Second, send me a PM with the report and your IP address, or, even better, contact me on Skype (liarethnwn@gmail.com), so I can run an MTR trace from the server to your machine. The quicker you can get in contact with me here the better.

The above goes for people who have already sent me a report -- I need a new report, and I need to generate one on the server as close as possible to the time you generated yours.

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Scholar Midnight wrote:I've heard back from Hetzner. They've made some preliminary changes on their end which might change the routing in some cases and fix it.

If you're still experiencing lag, we need to track it down. It's important that you only follow the provided steps during periods when you are encountering high lag on Arelith but no other sites. If you run these tests when you aren't lagging and forward them to me, your report will make my life and Hetzner's life more difficult.

1. First, in command prompt, type 'ping google.com -n 20'. Once it has pinged google 20 times, it will give you a summary view, where it will display a percentage of packet loss. If you experience any packet loss here, the problem is with your internet connection and there's nothing we can do. Note that if your local network is set up strangely you might be unable to ping google, in which case you'll see 100% packet loss, but still proceed to the second step.

2. If you can ping google without any packet loss then the issue is still routing. You need to do two things. First, run an MTR trace on arelith.com as explained above. Second, send me a PM with the report and your IP address, or, even better, contact me on Skype (liarethnwn@gmail.com), so I can run an MTR trace from the server to your machine. The quicker you can get in contact with me here the better.

The above goes for people who have already sent me a report -- I need a new report, and I need to generate one on the server as close as possible to the time you generated yours.
Uhm...I seriously didn't understand any of this... How does one "command prompt?"

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 pm

I seriously have no idea how to do any of this. I really wish my friend wasn't such a butt and would just help me... But he's too busy with his girlfriend...

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm seriously going to have a anxiety meltdown if this doesn't get fixed... Like, I can't function if things don't work properly. It rubs my Asperger's the wrong way, and makes my brain hurt... I really wish I had more than one friend who was local to help me with this stuff in person, because I don't have the ability to comprehend verbally or visually... This sucks... Game just crashed too. Like I'll just give a account of everything I've experienced: My characters move around on their own, they jump all over the area, text is delayed, actions like interacting with fixtures or commencing battles are extremely laggy and delayed, entering/exiting a area takes forever and loads Gods know how long, that's what it was a couple days ago, but now starting yesterday the graphics have gone all crazy and the lag is even worse even on the lowest settings it lags hard. I've already tried a ping test on the computer and there seems to absolutely no packet loss in regards to the aforementioned test above, so I'm at a loss here, I seriously don't understand any of this technological bull-crap, nor do I care or have the patience to, it just rubs my brain roughly and I just have the urge to smash the crap out of this desktop, though, I know that's not the appropriate thing to do, but how else is a Autistic suppose to react when something that doesn't make any sense or show any reasons as to not working keeps acting up? This is becoming excruciating on my mental state and it's causing me to have severe headaches from just trying to understand what is going on and what could be wrong. Ugh. Help... (Reading back on this, I look like I'm bonkers...)