Totem Druid spell slots are potentially not working properly

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Rooshy41

Totem Druid spell slots are potentially not working properly

Post by Rooshy41 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:55 am

Ok, right off the bat I'll admit, I'm trying to figure out how this system works. There's alot of stuff happening in the background that I don't quite understand mechanically. However from what I've read about how the totem druid's spell slots work, I feel like this is a bug.

Now to begin, from the wiki I shall recite:
"Unfortunately, all bonus spell slots gained from items are "emptied" by transformation of druid into wildshape." - Arelith Wiki page on Druids, 1/16/17

Now to the problem I've been encountering. I'm playing a totem druid who is lvl 11 at the moment. When I change from human form to animal form, I lose the 3rd spell in my spell slot, but not the spell slot. This is confusing to me because I can't find any literature that explains this.

Here is what I know:

As a lvl 11 druid he has just unlocked the 6th circle druid spells. At the moment he has 3 6th tier spell slots and no equipment that gives 6th tier spell slots. Also, in his human form, he has 23 Wisdom. In his bear form he has 22 Wisdom. The only thing that effects spell slots is the modifier from the stat and both 22-23 give a +6 modifier. The aforementioned quote from the Wiki states that spell slots gained from items are emptied, which would explain this if it wasn't for the fact that he has no equipment on him that gives spell slots.

Perhaps this is a bug, perhaps it's my misunderstanding. Regardless I thought that I should put this out there for safe measure.
"Look! It's an intelligent talking bear, it must be normal. Let's make it pay taxes."

https://xkcd.com/1223/

Lorkas

Re: Totem Druid spell slots are potentially not working prop

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:19 am

Do you have any equipment that gives a bonus to WIS? I'm guessing that you have exactly 2 items that give +1 WIS each.

What happens when you shift is that you lose all of the properties you have on items for a brief instant, then those properties are reapplied to the new form. In the brief instant that you lose those two +1 WIS properties, you also lose the bonus 6th level spell slot that you get from having 22 WIS. The spell slot then reappears after the +1 WIS is applied to your new form, but the slot is unassigned because from the game's perspective, you just got that spell slot.

You should also lose a level 2 spell slot if this what's happening. Also, if you cast Owl's Insight before shifting you should be able to protect those spell slots.

Rooshy41

Post by Rooshy41 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Hmm... Now that I read your post, that does make sense. I wasn't aware of the temporary loss of all WIS bonuses. Thank you Lorkas, that insight was helpful.
"Look! It's an intelligent talking bear, it must be normal. Let's make it pay taxes."

https://xkcd.com/1223/

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Make sure to start using Owl's Insight. It's specifically made to help druids be able to shift without losing spell slots, by maxing out your WIS through a spell rather than through items.