PM and Spell Resistance

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Ninjaturtle

PM and Spell Resistance

Post by Ninjaturtle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Pale master levels for the purpose of necromancy, and quite possibly the half levels for other schools, are not scaling against spell resistance. My character has epic spell penetration on a wiz 11/pm16 and drows are able to resist his necromancy spells. If my math is correct this is 11+16+6=33+d20 vs 32 which means spell resistance should not be possible. I have done tests on this as well. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Ninjaturtle

Re: PM and Spell Resistance

Post by Ninjaturtle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 pm

I've seen other posts about the problems related to the circle of death spell and was thinking maybe they are related?

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 am

Your math should be right assuming that Pale Master levels count as full caster levels when casting Necromancy spells.

According to Arelith updates for Pale Masters on July 31st:

"- Class levels now count as full caster levels when casting spells of the Necromancy school."

I'm wondering if that didn't get implemented fully/correctly?

Am I interpreting this incorrectly and Pale Master levels should not count as full levels for spell resistance checks?

This sounds horrible for anyone trying to play a Pale Master in the Underdark (mostly when fighting Drow) where most necromancers will mostly be found.

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 am

I personally consider this a feature, to guarantee they aren't targeting people who live in their own city, and instead aim their wail of the banshee spells at surfacers. ;D

(I am joking, this needs a fix unless it's intentional. <3)

Ninjaturtle

Post by Ninjaturtle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:24 pm

I'm to busy trying to survive in my own family to worry about others around the city. Family time should be pretty interesting for me after making this post. Besides there are other ways to deal with rogue pale masters such as assassin gank squads:)

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 am

Technically, I think anything that requires multiple players to handle a single player ... isn't exactly a balanced solution or class-counterplay.

D3V11_

Post by D3V11_ » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:27 am

Is the Spell Resistance for the Pale master still not functioning correctly? can anyone confirm that this has been fixed?

Ninjaturtle

Post by Ninjaturtle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:28 am

I cannot confirm whether half caster level is working appropriately because it does not show the calculation. I can confirm that full caster level for necromancy is not working for spell resistance or has not yet been implemented.

Ninjaturtle

Post by Ninjaturtle » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:13 pm

I did another organized test of this after the update and I can confirm that caster level for spell resistance is not working appropriately for neither half caster level or full caster level in necromancy.

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:22 pm

There have been reports that all Drow Pale Masters are are now taking out their aggression on surfacers due to not being able to in-fight with other Drow houses. This has lead to them falling out with Lolth doctrine as well. Please help these poor Drow souls.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:38 am

Last I checked, bonuses to spell level only affect duration/effect, and not SR checks, because SR checks are hardcoded. For warlocks, I wrote my own SR check to bypass this issue, but for other classes, CL bonuses won't help you overcome SR.

Unless someone has since figured out a way around this.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:43 pm

This should have been fixed via custom SR scripts as of last send live. If you're discovering otherwise, file detailed reports about what you're finding.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.