Strongheart Halflings: Alertness fix?

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Red Ropes

Strongheart Halflings: Alertness fix?

Post by Red Ropes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Strongheart halflings do not get the alertness feat added to their character, but, merely to their skin. Since every other race / class has them directly added might be a worthy update / fix.
🤡

Opustus

Re: Strongheart Halflings: Alertness fix?

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:01 pm

That must be intended so it won't count as a prerequisite for Harper and Shifter.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:59 pm

That seems an obnoxious exception to make. Other races get bonus feats that are prerequisites for PrC's - why does the half orc's predisposition towards smashing things make it easier for them to become blackguards, while the cultural pre-dispositioning of Strongheart hin towards being skilled watchmen not make it easier for them to pick up prestige classes that require such?

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:11 pm

I wouldn't say it's an obnoxious exception and I don't know if the decision has been based on how they are culturally predisposed but maybe rather on making the Alertness bonus generally less useful for the race or maybe because the team wants to keep Harper and Shifter very neutral in terms of accessibility. Dunno, would have to ask them directly. Another way to think about the Alertness feat on the race is as if it were a simple +2 spot and listen; if it were so, we would not probably be even having this conversation?

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 pm

I don't think there is any reason for it other than Stronghearts were made a very long time ago when everything was with skins.

I doubt there is a 'reason for it', beyond that.
🤡

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Oh, righto!

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:44 am

Red Ropes wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 pm
I don't think there is any reason for it other than Stronghearts were made a very long time ago when everything was with skins.

I doubt there is a 'reason for it', beyond that.
Yup. Giga coded Stronghearts around 13-14 years ago, long before we had NWNX plugins integrated into Arelith that would let us add feats directly to character sheets. In 10 years I never noticed that they were treated differently :)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:45 am

It was a dark time, when subraces were soft bonuses on character sheets, rather than hard stat bonuses.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:12 am

The alertness of Strongheart does count for Shifter/Harper. All this bug does is allow a strongheart to take the feat a second time.

At least, my strongheart hin druid meets the prereqs for Shifter without ever taking the alertness feat on levelup.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.